So there was October and November.
I haven't been keeping a journal because I haven't wanted to experience what's happening to me the first time through, let alone twice. However, when something nice does occur and I want to blog about it, I find myself short of materials. So I'll go with pictures. First, the trip to Kyoto with Madeline Horan, who night-bused all the way down from Akita (a long way, about 700 miles; like Fayetteville to Chicago) in late October to see the autumn leaves together. It seems that in Japan, though, the leaves peak in late November to early December, like leafy little mutants. It was still a gorgeous trip, though. Neither of us wanted to leave.
 |
| Cinnamon women, outside the old imperial palace. |
I wanted to go on one particular weekend to see the
Jidai Matsuri. For this Festival of the Ages, all the town dignitaries and droves of well-connected children dress up for a massive, two-hour parade showing the history of Japanese costume from prehistory through the Meiji period. Think Renaissance fair with a much higher median income.
 |
| These guys probably own Toyota. |
They also take the mortal remains of the last two or three emperors, and by extension their spirits, for a nice stroll.
 |
| That's an emperor. |
 |
| In the center, a bit hard to see, is a giant radish being offered to the dead emperors. The Japanese couple standing next to me was like, "Is that...a radish?" I reassured them that it was a very pretty radish and they giggled. So you are not the only one who is confused. |
|
There was something for everyone! Unless what you wanted was a picture without other cameras in it.
 |
| Cute kids! Geijin photobomb! |
 |
| Tourists in fox masks! |
|
|
 |
| Armor! |
 |
| Poor choices in footwear! |
 |
| Archers! |
 |
| Impractical war banners! |
 |
| Look at banner! |
|
Pretty Ladies! Somebody sue George Lucas.
People overwhelmed by their hats.
|
|
|
|
People who fully live up to their hats.
And the mayor in a carriage, bein' Meiji.
It was hot, and bright, and I sat on gravel for three hours in a pink pencil skirt. It was awesome.
What fantastic pictures! What gets me though is the very Western dress of the man driving the mayor. Part of me wishes that we were bringing Sophie in March because she would be fascinated by everything, but the larger part of me (that wishes to remain sane) knows she is MUCH better off staying home.
ReplyDeleteWe watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" a few days back and thought of you. I kept quietly whispering the Japanese words and hoping I was pronouncing them correctly. I've been trying to study them at least somewhat. Mom, Sophie, and I drove by the Weddington exit on Tuesday (on our way to Beebe for a funeral) and I thought, "We could go see Sally!" for a brief second until I realized that we could not. I teared up, but reminded myself that we are coming, and in only a few more months.