Monday, September 10, 2012

In which I begin my chic and refined living


So, to
This is written on my ancient washing machine.  The "urban" is a bit of a low blow.

(Slim my Cafemug)
and heavy my heart as I trudge through the days as I shall now relate...

I knew it.  IknewitIknewitIknewit.  You go and name a blog something like “A Catalogue of Light” and there is no way, no way, that it is not going to turn into a bitter joke.  No way in hell.  So, as promised, I am trying REALLY HARD not to transition directly into "A Catalogue of Woes" (English spelling retained for added pathos), but it's been tough.  Heretofore undiscovered, truly unpleasant, you-really-don't want-to-know levels of tough.  Hence my lack of posts.  Really, though; would you rather have nothing, or twenty pages of existential angst and philosophical maundering about fish?  You tell me.  'Cause I've got reserves.

Cultural Incident: this morning there was a man outside my bedroom window at six in the morning, mowing hay with some infernal hand-held machine, sort of like a giant circular saw weedeater with a backpack engine.  He was then raking the hay into rows.  With a rake.  A rake made of wood.  He appears to be about 80 years old.  End cultural incident.  

 
This is Bizarro-cat.  His name is Daifuku, which means “big luck.”  He is a sweet, friendly cat, but he will NOT. SHUT. UP.  All day, all night, maow maow maow mRRa’prauw lick maow bite lick lick cuddle paw MAAAAAUW.  Is it morally justifiable for a vegetarian to gag a cat?  Even if said cat is damaging her calm?  I’ve also never had an indoor/outdoor cat before, and his presence leaves me feeling distinctly unclean.  Which echoes my feelings for my apartment.  

The hell of wood paneling.  The entire downstairs (entry, washing machine, kitchen, bath, toilet) is covered in the most unconvincing metal trompe l'nul woodgrain I have ever seen.  On the mirror, upper left, is a drawing of a baby holding a shotgun.  Caption: "I believe my justice."

Entryway.  Thrill.
Office/living room with closets, bookshelf, and scuzzy couch suffering from pleather eczema.
Other side of the same room.  I actually love the floor-chair.
Bedroom.  This is where the laundry lives.  With a tiny washer, small wardrobe, and frequent rain, this indoor line is full 100% of the time, adding some much-needed humidity to my interior-scape.  Apparently, no sheets are currently made in Japan to fit this mattress, which is reasonable because it is crap.
But I have a tanuki!  So far he has failed to crush any of my foes with his giant swinging testicles, but I live in hope.
Exterior shot; more soon.  The grass out here is now above my knees.  Those of you with schoolboard experience can probably imagine the joy of having the country board of education as your landlord.

So, here it is, in all its glory.  Narrow, metal, old, hot.  The upstairs is not bad, just a little ragged (plus one room has these creepy gray baby hand-prints on the wall).  It has been a long time since I slept in the full summer heat without air conditioning; it’s actually been strangely nostalgic.  The discomfort of the whisper-thin, spring-sprung mattress, though, is neither nostalgic nor charming.  The reason I can’t sleep in the one air-conditioned room is difficult to explain without attaching a soundfile, but I’ll give it a go.  All the walls in my apartment have round vents with screens on the inside and heavy metal shutters on the outside.  These seem to regulate pressure somehow, gently flapping open from time to time and doing so more frequently and forcefully when the weather is changing.  The one in the air-conditioned living room, however, SLAMS at irregular intervals and incredible volume.  It shakes the walls and I can’t sleep through it.  

In lighter news, either I’ve finally stopped smelling like a racehorse with a glandular disorder, or I am losing the ability to perceive my own stench.  Really hoping it’s the former.  I have a beauty routine now that takes over an hour in the morning; hair, pretty clothes I hope, full make-up, tan pantyhose in the tropical heat...it's depressing.   

I can't confirm that it makes my make-up completely, but it is a really good eyelash curler.
Have I mentioned that Japan is the US in the 50's?  See upcoming posts for more details.  Suffice it to say that I am now putting more effort than ever before into my appearance, doing it while sick and from a home that makes me feel slimy.  I've had cockroaches, slugs, live lizards, dead lizards, dead mice, really dead mice, and lines of ants.  The cat tracks in dirt and grass.  Water leaks from…somewhere.  Drifts of white cat hair clump in corners. 

I went to Kobe last weekend and, among (too) many other things, bought a little cloth carrying case for two onigiri.  If you don’t know them, onigiri are the triangular rice balls that Japanese people often eat for lunch.   

Looking cute will not save you now.  Being filled with fish, now that'll do it.
There is no way I can justify having a special container for these objects, but it's charming and purple, and I put it on my kitchen table to cheer me up.  This morning, eating my Mild Chocolate cornflakes, I picked it up to bask in the pointless ownership and a lizard jumped out, onto my face.  We are talking about a harmless, 1.5 inch gecko here, but still, there was much gender-neutral squealing.  Somehow, this incident feels representative of my life here.  So forgive my unfocused post and tune in next week for tales from the Japanese educational system, provisionally titled How I learned to stop worrying and love bombing, or, The Sound of Silence.  Please leave any questions or suggestions in the comments.  Please talk to me.  Someone has to.

13 comments:

  1. Sally, I had forgotten how truly engaging your writing is. You should endeavor to publish a book out of this...adventure...a la the Bloggess (whose book is PHENOMENAL, and insane, and totally worth a read if you haven't seen it yet).
    Hope things start looking up soon, and just remember: at least there aren't a bunch of idiotic, irrational teenage girls screaming about a probably non-existent bear.
    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn that armadillo. Damn him for all time. If there's a bigger irrational female motherlode than that camp, though, I think Japan may be it. Oh, and it turns out I actually had read a little of the Bloggess! The towel/giant metal chicken story is one for the ages. I will definitely check out her book.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind if this turns into a catalog of woes. Every week last year during the mandatory seminar for the new post-docs, we had to go around and talk about "one good thing" that happened that week; I always always defied instructions and talked about something shitty.
    I think that's fine. I believe my justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words cannot express my admiration for your circumvention of forced/feigned optimism; I believe your justice, too. Though I suspect it may be a stern justice. Just tell me you don't have a shotgun.

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. Sally, that SUCKS! So you're home sick and in a completely disgusting place :( Please tell me though that you take joy in having a cat that sounds in English like 'die fuck you' - please? In terms of the cat though, we had one like that and were able to train it out of its incessant meowing by squirting it in the face with a squirt bottle. It might be more relevant to your vegetarian sensibilities ;) We're missing you here! Have you found tickets for Grant? The cheapest I'd found was $1200 which didn't sound super promising, I'll do another round of looking though! Also, I need to see Sally after an hour of prepping, I'm imagining Mad Men party Sally? Yes? Best happiness and luck completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try the vegan squirt bottle approach. Seriously, though, I'll be squirting him every 30 seconds. He is incessant. I'll try to include some pics of teacher Sally at some point. I really don't feel like myself, maybe especially since it's a less obvious drag than the Mad Men look.

      1200 is actually way cheaper than I've seen; where was that? Thanks for the good wishes and same to you!

      Delete
    2. I have a bajillion tabs open right now because I'm doing the market research part of my business plan. When I finish that up, I'll look again and get you the info :)

      And yes, it totally takes squirting every 30 seconds, but one day... if they're not totally retarded... they'll get it.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if the squirt bottle will work. Hashtinar, Krista's older, bitchier, blacker cat, goes through days where she will Not. Shut. Up. no matter what you throw at her or where you thump her. So, yeah, if squirt bottle is the way to go, please do let us know. :)

    Sorry you're having such a rough time of it. Your place sounds like it would be charming if it weren't also creepy in a J-Horror way. At least the Threshing Cyborg is polite and left you alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not charming in any way, to any one. And I do not call machinery at six in the morning polite. But thanks for the sympathy. :) Also: Hashtinar?

      Delete
    2. She says it's spelled with an H. It's pronounced without one. What do you expect from a cat named while in a fever dream (true story, apparently)?

      I only said charming, by the way, to limit how much I'd reenforced the notion that you might be living in a Japanese Murder Villa. But hey, if that's what it is, that's what it is. Call a spade a 鋤, I guess.

      Delete
  5. I am a little horrified that there are gray baby handprints on your walls. When they start appearing on other surfaces, that's the time to get all Catholic about things. Do Japanese baby ghosts respond to Catholic rites?

    On a more serious note, I wish I could come see you right now. Just hop a plane and hang. But March will be here soon enough and I will be there. I am sorry you've had to deal with various forms of wildlife, especially those of the abomination variety. We need to start emailing. I can do that from school as the Facey-Space is still blocked there.

    On a school note, I finally realized a possible solution to getting our videos to your kids. How's about we start a Facebook group? My biggest consideration was that videos that identify my kids by name can't be posted publicly online, so somewhere (like FB) that allows closed groups is ideal. Would your kids have access to FB at school?

    And I agree with Tracy--I need to see pictures of teacher Sally. Much, much love, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also--amazing shoes. Can you teach all day in heels that high? Hats off to you if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The code I had to type in to prove I wasn't a robot was "mrturd." My inner 14 year old boy had to share.

      Delete